[aprssig] APRS legality

J.C. Wren jcwren at jcwren.com
Tue Jan 27 14:25:32 EST 2009

You're speaking of Part 97.113(d)

"(d) The control operator of a club station may accept compensation for the
periods of time when the station is transmitting telegraphy practice or
information bulletins, provided that the station transmits such telegraphy
practice and bulletins for at least 40 hours per week; schedules operations
on at least six amateur service MF and HF bands using reasonable measures to
maximize coverage; where the schedule of normal operating times and
frequencies is published at least 30 days in advance of the actual
transmissions; and where the control operator does not accept any direct or
indirect compensation for any other service as a control operator. "

You're correct on that part.  I was thinking there was another exemption,
which allowed W1AW to come up on a frequency without checking for the
frequency being in use (as HF frequencies are not coordinated like 2M, 440,
etc).  Reading through the Part 97 material, I'm not seeing such an
exemption.

--jc

--jc