[aprssig] What is the best GPS Data RX on the marketnow? Answer: GPS 18x

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 18:28:22 EST 2009

That does not interest me. I purchased the Kenwood to be a KISS project.
When my wife is in the car and goes on a long trip she will use a PM with
her callsign. When I am in the truck on the weekends and the rare trip I use
my own PM. If I am just driving to town I really don't have the time or want
to be looking at other stations but do like to send out my position a bit,
if everyone did like I and did not send out beacons even on short trips
there would be nothing to see on the network. It is RARE when either of us
would ever have the need for a GPS map display during daily driving.

When I go on a long trip, over 100 miles or so I will quite often plug my
laptop in with UI-View, the serial output from the Kenwood allows me to see
stations quite nicely on the laptop. So a simple GPS18X does just fine, I
know the 276x has a large display and 2 serial outputs but it's not what I
need any longer, maybe a few years ago but my current needs.