[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Jack Spitznagel frawg at frawg.org
Mon Jan 26 11:42:33 EST 2009

On 1/26/2009 11:20 AM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
> What gets me is the old fogeys who don't like running data on
> repeaters... even though the repeater doesn't send a PL tone during
> data events.  They still complain about hearing data... well gosh,
> here's an idea, turn your PL decoder on.  They come back with "not all
> hams have radios with PL decode, and we have to accomodate them".
> Bunch of luddites! </soapbox>
/*curmudgeon mode on*/

Then they whine about the fact that the hobby is shrinking and kids
don't have the interest they once did.

Listen to the "kids": "Dang... I got this little dingus in my pocket
that sends video -or- text with a picture -or- text messages... anywhere
in the world I want to send them! Why do I want to bother with a license
that costs me time, effort, money to gain something I already have that
runs circles around what your lamer service runs!" The fact the service
is free and non-commercial means nothing to them...

Meantime the "more progressive" luddites fight over what to do to "catch
up" with the telecom services... and tell the dreamers why the dreams
can't be done.

I think I see the problem....

/*curmudgeon mode off*/