[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Jack Spitznagel frawg at frawg.org
Mon Jan 26 11:18:08 EST 2009

On 1/26/2009 10:59 AM, Ben Jackson wrote:
> This *is* a concern and I'm curious as to how the FCC looks at paging
> for amateur stations by amateur stations. The only real "paging
> network" I've seen is based in Germany. Nothing on this side of the
> Atlantic.
>
> I'm sure there are people smarter then me on this list. Any opinions on
> this? Part 97 is murky at best.

It seems to me that the FCC would be concerned if one was running a
"paging service" that could be accessed from landline, but why would
they object to an APRS/amateur repeater transmitting pager codes/tones
if all other ID requirements are met and was only triggered by amateur
initiated messaging transmissions? Why would they care if a *receiver*
has been modified to receive an amateur radio frequency? It is certainly
not at all like the issue of "unblocking" a receiver for use as a
scanner on cellular telephone frequencies.

Jack - kd4iz