[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Mon Jan 26 09:52:11 EST 2009

Ben Jackson wrote:
> Older, working pagers are a dime a dozen on the used market and there are
> some people who have refitted them to work on Amateur bands[2]. With the
> fact that there (quite literally) buckets full of working pagers at
> HamFests, why not have a "messagegate" that takes APRS messages to
> stations and translates them to a message destined for a POCSAG
> compatible pager. There were certain KAM TNCs that could encode POCSAG
> natively
>
> Comments? Laughter? Rotten tomatoes? :)

    Years ago I had a pager converted to receive on 146.76, our local
repeater.  We had a new controller that would send paging tones to open
it up.  Sadly, after about 3 uses, the "old fogeys" decided it was
illegal.  We had quite the discussion, and one of them finally called
the FCC monitoring office in Powder Springs, Ga, and simply asked
them,"Paging isn't legal on amateur frequencies, is it?"

    Of course, you know the answer he got.  He didn't use all the
information available, and so got the answer he wanted, and paging was
discontinued on our local repeater.

    If you try this, be prepared for other "old fogeys" to step in and
try to take the fun our of amateur radio.

    7 3
    Earl

    Oh, BTW -- this was in Valdosta, Ga.

--