[aprssig] APRS Messaging ACKS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 25 21:38:45 EST 2009

Regarding message receipt and display to identical callsigns:

> I also think it is a bad idea.
> Not so bad for K4HG-1 and K4HG-2,
> but for CHASE-1 and CHASE-2.
> tactical calls for two separate
> vehicles, the risk of confusion
> seems far too great to me!

Any event needs planning.

We use that to our advantage for the annual football run.  If we send a message to CHASE, then both CHASE-1 and CHASE-2 both get them.  Which is most cases is desired.  If we wanted to keep them separate, then we could just as easily chosen callsigns of CHASE1 and CHASE2.  Then their messages would always be distinct.

>>> For what it is worth, the APRS protocol
>>> expects all stations under a callsign
>>> to receive and display incoming messages,
>>> but ONLY the call with the matching SSID
>>> to ACK it.

Bob, WB4APR