[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 25 11:25:38 EST 2009

> I can't see that the 144.39 channel can
> take double the messaging traffic.
> But that's a different topic.

Statistics around here (maryland) show message traffic to be so
miniscule as to be non existant.  Maybe 1% of the channel load.
And if APRS users are not communicating, then we are missing the
greatest benefit of amateur radio.

At least messaging conveys information between users that are
doing something compared to some tracker marking corners in a
parking lot consuming 30% of channel capacity where no one
cares.

<wink>

But your concerns are valid, since messaging with ACKS is a
heavier load than a position packet, so you are completely
correct, that we have many  things to do:

1) Get users to use the MESSAGING add-on to Uiview that fixes
its  messaging inefficiencies.

2) Getting Igate code to report their handling to RF:
www.aprs.org/aprs12/Igate-path-report.txt

3) Getting people to read-and clear their APRS radio's incoming
message buffer so they can receive their messaegs instead of
sending rejects!

Etc.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR