[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 24 06:35:46 EST 2009

Andy M0CYP wrote...

> What you really need is 'speech to APRS messaging' and possibly
> 'APRS messaging to speech' plugged into an IGATE

APRS on 144.39 (at least in North America) can handle the bandwidth of
delivering APRS messages. Adding voice transmissions from an IGate might
take up more time / bandwidth than leaving it in text format as in an
APRS message. The conversion to and from speech should probably be done
by the client instead of the server. UI-View with MS Agent installed
already reads out incoming messages to me. Admittedly that's easier than
"speech to text" but most computers are up-to-it these days. Perhaps
it's time for a speech-to-text add-on that can send APRS messages.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH