[aprssig] APRS / Packet board for Arduino

J.C. Wren jcwren at jcwren.com
Fri Jan 23 18:53:47 EST 2009

The whole Arduino thing sort of puzzles me.  I guess this is a case of the
right product in the right place at the right time, because the idea of "a
PCB with a microcontroller on it" is not new.  Nicely provisioned full took
chains are not new.  Stacking connectors to add functionality isn't new.
I'm also confused by why programs are called "sketches" and daughter-boards
are called "shields".  And while I think it's a Good Thing, you'd think that
C would NOT be a natural language for  getting people interested (I would
have sooner suspected BASIC or even Forth).

At least it's enabling people who wouldn't otherwise get involved with a
microcontroller to do something interesting with them.  Even if blinking a
LED is what they considering exciting.

--jc