[aprssig] Password authentication

Matt Murphy matt.kc8bew at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:55:46 EST 2009

Scott Miller wrote>
[for the unabridged version, see Scott's original post]

>Someone on the Tracker2 mailing list pointed out that the scheme is
>architecturally identical to the Perfect Paper Passwords system
>(http://www.grc.com/ppp/design.htm), so if you're familiar with that,
>this is pretty much the same thing.  It's also similar to S/KEY, but
>with some important differences.

>The scheme works like this:  You pick a reasonably long and
>hard-to-guess pass phrase, and enter that at the T2's command line.
>This gets converted to a 128-bit key and stored, and the sequence
>counter is set to 0.

GRC has a good page for "Ultra High Security" passwords also.  It is
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.  Everytime the page refreshes it displays
a new set of three, 256 bit passwords.  They will never be diplayed again
(at least not in our/kids/grandkids lifetime).

I like it Scott.

73,
Matt Murphy, kc8bew
Muskingum Co. ARES EC