[aprssig] US APRS symbol usage

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jan 22 15:42:30 EST 2009

Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> I'm really surprised that packets from home stations outnumber ones from
> mobiles, particularly since home stations (presumably ??) beacon at a
> far lower rate than mobiles, especially mobiles with Smart
> Beaconing.     And surely the ratio of cars to ambulances can't be
> almost 2:1....,.

I was surprised at that also, but then again, homes are easier/cheaper
to set up.  Remember, this is from APRS-IS, not RF.  Therefore it counts
all of those Internet-Only UI-View, xastir, and other APRS-IS clients
that "beacon" to the Internet.  Beaconing rate doesn't affect the Uses
count, only the packet count.  And remember, always-on Home stations
would quickly swamp the only-while-moving mobiles in packet count.
> Any thoughts on these seeming anomalies ?

As for the cars to ambulances, all I can guess is that EOC and other
emergency services may set up objects for ambulances while a lot of the
rest of us might use trucks, vans, and Jeeps causing a dilution in the
"car" count.
> [Just discovered that apparently you pasted some sort of table directly
> into email, instead of converting  it to  plain text first.      It is
> rendering with  "Uses" and "Packets" run together, yielding single
> numbers in the millions for each row.]

That's why I attached the spreadsheet.  I'm on so many APRS-related
groups, I forgot that this one was plain text only.  I trust that anyone
that really cares about the numbers either already has or can acquire a
way to view the spreadsheet.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ