[aprssig] US APRS symbol usage

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 14:23:35 EST 2009

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Paul & all,
>
> I did some more massaging on the Symbol Usage numbers that I extracted
> from my North American APRS-IS coverage database.  This represents
> weeks of reported stations where Uses is a station count and Packets
> is total packets over some number of weeks, not just 6 days.  Feel
> free to slice/dice this data in any fashion you see fit.

I'm really surprised that packets from home stations outnumber ones from
mobiles, particularly since home stations (presumably ??) beacon at a
far lower rate than mobiles, especially mobiles with Smart
Beaconing.     And surely the ratio of cars to ambulances can't be
almost 2:1....,.

Any thoughts on these seeming anomalies ?

[Just discovered that apparently you pasted some sort of table directly
into email, instead of converting  it to  plain text first.      It is
rendering with  "Uses" and "Packets" run together, yielding single
numbers in the millions for each row.]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map