[aprssig] Weather Station Path/Rate Recommendations

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Jan 20 15:11:18 EST 2009

The problem:

I'm a meteorologist that needs to know the conditions at station XYZ.
I look it up, and see it hasn't reported in 25 minutes. Does this
mean...

1. the station does not have "smart weather reporting"?

2. the station has "smart weather reporting" and conditions are stable?

3. the station has "smart weather reporting" and conditions have
changed, but the report was lost in transit due to channel congestion
or other factor unrelated to weather?

4. the weather at XYZ got so bad so suddenly the station was blown
way, washed away, or otherwise trashed?

You can't use the absence of data to make decisions unless you have a
consistent reporting algorithm and completely reliable data delivery.
Since neither is possible in the world of APRS, "smart weather
reporting" is dumb ;-)

Steve