[aprssig] Programming Language Advice

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Jan 17 22:40:02 EST 2009

Thanks for all the additional replies. I think the only language I'm
proficient in at the moment is profane, after all the syntax errors from
perl :-)

My last serious attempt at a programming language was in 1982 with
BASIC. Now you have an idea of where I stand.

However, when I get my teeth into something I'm usually determined to
win, and I now have the ugliest scripts ever written, doing what I want
to do. As I become more proficient in perl there will be a lot of
tidying up. I couldn't get my head around converting compass points to
degrees in perl - those darned syntax errors again - so I start with a
shell script to snag the data with lynx, do a bit of cut and shut to
extract the data I need, and then convert the compass points with
"case". From the shell script I call my perl script and it does all the
mathematics and output formatting. I run two scripts (two weather
stations) every ten minutes from crontab to snag the info and upload to
xastir.

As I said, the scripts are ugly but I do at least have a point from
which I can make improvements.

Ray vk2tv