[aprssig] Programming Language Advice

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Jan 16 02:26:48 EST 2009

Matthew Asham/BCWNS wrote:
>> I'd do it in Perl, it's very flexible and will do whatever
>> you need - depending on what the station actually is, there
>> may even be a Perl module to decode it.
>>

> http://oh7lzb.blogspot.com/2007/12/aprs-parser-module-used-by-aprsfi.html
>

>> Awk would do what you want, too, but may be a bit harder to
>> get help and support on.
>>

> For APRS I'd definitely suggest perl, C, PHP, etc over shell scripting.
>
> Matthew, VE7UDP

Mathew,

The station is a Bureau of Meteorolgy automatic weather station at the
local airport (YKMP).

I'm using lynx to grab a text version from the i/net and the do further
massaging to arrive at ....
> 15/05:30pm 29.4 29.4 19.7 56 6.3 E 19 26 10 14 1008.3 - 0.0
Using cut I can extract the fields of interest - 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12 and
14 which are temperature, humidty, course, speed, gust, barometer and
total rainfall since 9.00am (that's the standard we use).

The reason behind this is, I am the volunteer technician for the local
community radio station and I want the weather data to appear on an
xastir map in the studio that will also show weather alerts.

To formalise (legalise?)  the process I have just taken out an amateur
licence for the radio station studio complex and the weather info will
appear to come from VK2WET-3. The radio station callsign is 2WET and the
studio is in a disused concrete water reservoir about 40' in diameter -
http://tankfm.hopto.org

Ray vk2tv