[aprssig] Findu Messaging

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:49:23 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:
> It did not come through findU. All web activity on my servers is
> logged, even though the IP is not in the message, it is in the log.
> However, since the logs rotated 5 days ago, no message has been sent
> on either server with the word Nigeria in it.

The q constructs show a little info.

  WA6NWP>APRS,TCPIP*,qAC,FIRST::WA7NWP :it is always like that in nigeria

> There are many ways messages can get to the APRS IS, not just findU.
> Most have absolutely no traceability, unlike findU.

They are all traceable..  It's just there is absolutely no guarantee
that the trace is valid.

> Even if it did come through findU, how would adding the IP help
> anything? Did he even do anything wrong? Well, maybe you could say
> identity theft, since someone is assigned the callsign. However, do
> you have a right to your callsign on the Internet? Your gut will tell
> you yes

As we all know - anybody on  aprs-is ala the internet can do anything
they want.  Of course there is nothing illegal, at least as far as I
know, to fake callsigns or non-callsigns there.

We could, as fellow Radio Amateurs, argue that faking a call is doing
"something wrong."   No - I suggest that only as a point in the
discussion.

> Even if you think it is identity theft, no one is going to prosecute
> him for sending an innocuous message like this, so an IP number really
> doesn't buy you much.

Much like the qCodes - an originating IP number would give some
suggestion of where messages, bogus or not, were coming from...   It
would be, at the least, interesting.

> And finally, I don't think spam is the correct term. From SpamHaus "A

Unsolicited messages from a bogus origination is close enough to SPAM for me.

I didn't know TCPXX and qAX were no longer on the game plan.  It looks
like a new word was even invented.

From:  http://www.aprs-is.net/q.aspx

"# qAX - Packet was received from the client directly via a unverified
connection (FROMCALL=login).  The callSSID following the qAX is the
server's callsign-SSID.  This construct is in addition to the
TCPIP*/TCPXX* construct currently in place. TCPXX and qAX have been
depricated."