[aprssig] T-Mobile WRT4G 8mb

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 04:23:08 EST 2009

The T-mobile WRT54G is similar to the WRT54GL I believe, and it's
used for their T-mobile Hotspot at Home product.  Basically it's a
modified Linksys router that prioritizes UMA traffic.  UMA is
basically Cellular over WiFi.  Some of T-mobile's phones with WiFi
support UMA (such as several of their Blackberry Models) and when
you're not in a coverage area you can use WiFi basically as a cell
site.  They offer unlimited WiFi calling for a cheap price (like 10$
a month, something along those lines) too for those that want it.

If it were me, I'd just go seeking out the GL model routers
instead.  However, Buffalo Technology will soon be selling in the
states again and they make a router that supports DD-WRT (and a lot
of the other custom firmwares) and are extremely well priced.  Back
in their hey-day (before they were sued by CSIRO), they were probably
the best product money could buy.

--Droo, K1XVM