[aprssig] Aprs-is / aprs-vhf packet rate limit guidelines

Matthew Asham/BCWNS matthewa at bcwireless.net
Thu Jan 8 14:10:34 EST 2009

> Translating power outages to area objects would then be done by
> a human with the ability to draw a shape object and be there to
> update it as the outage geometry changes...

Some thoughts on the NWAPRS list have led to me conclude this is the way it'll end up working:
 * Broadcasting a single object per municipality or region indicating number of outages
 * Allowing for an operator to query specific objects within a radius of a lat/long or street address, text response and object
 * Expiring objects when they are no longer listed as an outage

This addresses the issue of to many objects being created, particularly during a serious weather event or some other time when
saturating the network would be even more bad(tm) than normal.  It also
provides for some ability to monitor in real time (in conjunction with other monitoring, such as our RSS feed for power outages).

I'll post an update with what exactly I've done.

> > ... but would like to get a sense for what is
> > considered 'excessive' in terms of a single
> > node transmitting new objects via APRS-IS
> > and APRS-VHF/1200.
>
> Now, ignoring my proselitizing above, such an automatic object
> generator could be valuable and the net cycle time is already
> defined in APRS.  Make it a LOCAL packet every 10 minutes in the
> affected area (1 hop), and make it a 2 hop packet once every 30
> minutes...

Cool.  Thanks :)

> But maybe consider re-using the same object name so that as the
> outage area changes and is updated, then the current symbol on
> all maps is still current and the maps are not cluttered up with
> all kinds of older copies.

Yep, already doing that.

Thanks

Matthew