[aprssig] Aprs-is / aprs-vhf packet rate limit guidelines

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jan 7 14:58:22 EST 2009

There is not one single right answer. You need to evaluate how
valuable the objects you are sending are to the worldwide community.
Remember that every object you post will be seen by thousands of
people. Is it worth it?

I'd guess most people aren't going to be all that interested in the
state of a local power distribution system, which means you should
pick a lower rate than, say, the earthquake daemon. Earthquakes can
trigger tsunamis quite a distance away, so they have a greater
interest than a power outage.

I'm also concerned about anything that sends a lot of automatic
packets triggered by an emergency condition. Say there is some sort of
massive power failure, and your software wants to generate tones of
packets. At the same time, some people may need to rely on APRS for
comms. IGates can be configured to send internet packets to rf, so at
the very time APRS really needs bandwidth, your application is sucking
it up...

Steve K4HG