[aprssig] Another Bootlegger?

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Tue Jan 6 16:27:46 EST 2009

Can you just go and find him
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Vause
  Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 1:54 AM
  Subject: Re: [aprssig] Another Bootlegger?

  Ok, here's a suggestion from a "no code tech":
  How about the Igate sysops (in the area where ETI-1 is transmitting RF if nowhere else) put ETI-* in their exclude lists (or suplists) depending on IGATE software/hardware. Block his packets from being
  transmitted to the Internet.
  If the bootlegger's packets don't make it to the APRS IS  then what good is his tracking hardware?
  If this guy IS legal then he'll soon be asking why his tactical call is not making it to the APRS IS.

  Beats some of the other suggestions I've read here including injecting bogus positions into the APRS IS.

  Daron Wilson wrote:
Whatever happened to the good old days, when you just pinned their coax and
    smoked their finals?

Those folks sold their CB's and got no code tech licenses I think...

*   My favorite law: The Law of Unintended Consequences   *
*                                -- John Vause            *
*  "Over here, over there, everywhere,                    *
*   Today, tomorrow, always:                              *
*   Bad men there are.                                    *
*   Hate you they do.                                     *
*   Kill you they will.                                   *
*   Watch out you better!"  -- Shoshone refrain           *
*   You can fool yourself if you want, and you can fool   *
*   as many as will follow for as long as you can get     *
*   away with it. But you can't fool reality.             *
*   - James P. Hogan in "Kicking The Sacred Cow"          *
*   Si vis pacem, para bellum - Cicero                    *