[aprssig] Another Bootlegger?

k4rjj at bellsouth.net k4rjj at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 6 11:27:30 EST 2009

 I don't know if it was an APRS-IS Sysop or who did this but ETI-1 showed NO positions later the other night.  As of now.he still has no report on findu.com  Someone purged the record I suppose?

Ronny K4RJJ

 -------------- Original message from John Vause <jdv at iglou.com>: --------------

  Ok, here's a suggestion from a "no code tech":
How about the Igate sysops (in the area where ETI-1 is transmitting RFif nowhere else) put ETI-* in theirexclude lists (or suplists) depending on IGATE software/hardware. Blockhis packets from being
transmitted to the Internet.
If the bootlegger's packets don't make it to the APRS IS  thenwhat good is his tracking hardware?
If this guy IS legal then he'll soon be asking why his tactical call isnot making it to the APRS IS.

Beats some of the other suggestions I've read here including injectingbogus positions into the APRS IS.

Daron Wilson wrote:      Whatever happened to the good old days, when you just pinned their coax and

smoked their finals?

Those folks sold their CB's and got no code tech licenses I think...

*   My favorite law: The Law of Unintended Consequences   *
*                                -- John Vause            *
*  "Over here, over there, everywhere,                    *
*   Today, tomorrow, always:                              *
*   Bad men there are.                                    *
*   Hate you they do.                                     *
*   Kill you they will.                                   *
*   Watch out you better!"  -- Shoshone refrain           *
*   You can fool yourself if you want, and you can fool   *
*   as many as will follow for as long as you can get     *
*   away with it. But you can't fool reality.             *
*   - James P. Hogan in "Kicking The Sacred Cow"          *
*   Si vis pacem, para bellum - Cicero                    *