[aprssig] Another Bootlegger Using APRS As a Commercial AVL System ???

Len Revelle n9ij at comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 11:07:50 EST 2009

Been following this, though rather sporadically. Please excuse me if I
mention already discussed points.

 From what I've read it probably is a trucker. As a short-lived truck
driver and ham I learned there are many hams that drive OTR and use
ham radio while working.

AFAIK, so long as one sends a legal identification packet one may use
a tactical call, if you will, in the position packet. Public service
organizations do this all the time. Given that, the truck driver could
easily be legal, just using the ETI-x tactical call while sending a
ham call sign outside the position packet. Does it rub against
convention? Certainly,.. and may even be on the fringe of illegal IF
being used commercially.

I would be careful about marching up and introducing yourself without
some tact and knowledge that some do not play by the same rules.

Len Revelle N9IJ
n9ij at comcast.net