[aprssig] Kenwood <> Garmin adapter cable

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Feb 25 16:01:48 EST 2009

The voltage output level to the Garmin side is only 0-3.3v, but the
polarity is right, so if that's sufficient (I think it is) then yes, it
should work.  You'd be able to run the 60C in Garmin mode, and send it
Kenwood sentences from the D710 that'd show up with translated symbols,
altitude data, and course/speed in the comments.

In fact, the custom symbol support is still there, and just needs one
bit in the configuration flipped.  I didn't get around to giving it an
NMEA command to flip that bit, though, so you'd actually have to reload
the firmware, which isn't too hard.

And of course you've got to get power somewhere to run it, and the 60C
won't do that.  You can supply it on either side, though, and it should
work up to 12v at least.

Scott
N1VG