[aprssig] APRS Advice for US Trip

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Feb 25 12:52:29 EST 2009

I'm certainly not an expert on such matters, but I'd personally use a
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 for most of the trip.  There will be entire areas of the
country where you still won't reach a gate with that.  However,
increasing to WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 probably won't help much in those areas
anyway, IMHO.

I'm not familiar with UIDIGI on the D700, but if that means a mobile
digi, it might help others, but it won't help you.  And in some areas of
the country, it might actually decrease your chances of making it to an
IGate due to the increased congestion on 144.390.

Finally, if you post here or e-mail me privately, I'd like to watch your
progress and generate some APRS infrastructure usage charts for your
perusal.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Working on APRS Infrastructure Visualization tools