[aprssig] Kenwood <> Garmin adapter cable

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Feb 17 18:44:27 EST 2009

I own the T2-135 and an Alinco and paired it with a Nuvi 350 for exactly
that purpose.  However, I'm still working with Scott on making the
T2-135 receive reliably.  It transmits cleanly, but reception is
woefully inadequate.

In the meantime, I purchased a second Nuvi 350 for street level mapping
for an upcoming trip to Costa Rica.  Along with that, I now own a
TinyTrak 4 which may be destined for use in my IGate (currently an ICom
HT feeding AGEPEpro and javAPRSsrvr). The TT4 connected to the SAME
Alinco radio (with the T2-135 removed, obvously) seems to receive
splendidly, but the transmit level is woefully under-deviated when
connected via the data connection.  I just received today a cable to
hook the TT4 to the Alinco via the microphone and speaker output (talk
about a step backwards) to see how that fairs.  I'll also now have the
TT4 to ICOM HT cable for the IGate use.

In other words, I'm looking at any and all options of employing any and
all equipment in any and all mix and match applications.  Capabilities
are what matter to me and using whatever I've got in any fashion to
accomplish failure recovery and on-demand applications is what I'm
exploring.

I guess I could just go get the 3 pin pinout from the D710 manual and
fabricate my own 3 pin to DB9 cable since the signalling is apparently
RS-232 probably Tx, Rx, and Gnd, but an integrated DB9 GTRANS might
prove useful to other TT4 and other NMEA TNC units as well.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Tracking as:
KJ4ERJ-12 - AT&T Tilt via APRS-IS
KJ4ERJ-9 - Alternating TT4/T2-135 via Alinco DR-135 mobile
KJ434J-8 - Borrowed Kenwood D7 mobile as reference
Car equipped with 3 GPSs, the AT&T Tilt internal, Nuvi 350, and a
dashboard digital speedometer with internal NMEA GPS.
A person with one GPS knows exactly where they are.  A person with three
GPSes is never quite sure...