[aprssig] APRS RX-I-GATE software: aprx

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Sat Feb 14 16:59:38 EST 2009

I am not sure of what licenses automatic unattended transmitters need in USA,
but here they require special automatic station license

  "Pay 18 euros per transmitter per year to FICORA licensing management.
   Thank you."

That is, every digipeater has to pay that for every channel it transmits on.
This has made APRS digipeaters rather RARE in here, same with TX-IGates.

Furthermore, because TX-IGates require rather complex configuration, they
are very hard to get working correctly, as many have observed.

A year ago I wrote simplified RX-Only IGate that can be left unattended and
free of special licenses:

  http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprx.en

It is so simple to configure that even non-nerds are able to do it.
It sits even on very small systems, like NSLU2 and WRT54GL.

I have also looked at extending it with TX-IGate capability, but required
igate algorithm is damn complicated, and specification is quite unclear.
( http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.aspx )

It is no wonder that people have such problems with TX-IGates...

  73 de Matti, OH2MQK