[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Thu Feb 12 14:28:44 EST 2009

I could kinda see where I could program my DTMF memories in advance...
memory 1 would be priority 1 traffic indication (with my callsign embedded),
mem 2 would be priority 2, etc.  Then I'd just key up and send DTMF memory 1
if I had hi priority traffic.  Of course teh next question is how long does
this DTMF sequence take?  1.6 seconds at most, right?  16 digit dtmf memory
at a speed of 10 digits per second?  It would take a little longer than
blurting out your 3 letter suffix by voice, but would convey more info......
however.... if I had real emergency traffic, I'd still butt in and call
netcontrol on voice.  Routine and hi priority traffic... I would not mind
sitting by and letting netcontrol get around to me.

Someone mentioned the display time out.  How long does my code stay on the
display of one of these radios?  What happens when it's overwritten by the
next guy looking to pass traffic.  Seems to me that if we had a PIC, DTMF
decoder and 20x4 LCD display, we could have a message logging tablet which
would show 4 calls at once.... and you could scroll between them if too many
came in at once.  Such a device could / would sort the calls by priority and
allow netcontrol operator to erase them once he'd addressed that station.

Just my thoughts.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Scott Miller <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> > Yes, if this catches on, I am sure that Byonics, OpenTrack of
> > HAMHUD would find it useful to add the DTMF decoder to their
> > displays.  The real advantage is being able to include 100% of
> > every volunteer at your event in the ability to send simple text
> > data to net control.
>
> I'm still not following how this is going to be more useful than voice.
>  Can someone shoot a quick video of this in use?
>
> Scott
> N1VG

Wes
---
Where there's silence, there is no Hope.