[aprssig] Automatic omni DF query

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Feb 10 00:38:17 EST 2009

Yep.  Which is why I didn't worry too much about the inability to tune
down there.

As a kid, I used to build CW IDers with my friends - just a shift
register and a quad NAND gate.  Maybe $4 in parts.  I never understood
why they couldn't have done that for ELTs and save a few million
man-hours in ELT searches.  And if they'd made EPIRBs and ELTs sound
different, it would have saved me personally at least one very long
night driving all over a mountain range and freezing my butt off in the
snow every few minutes to shoot another bearing...

Anyway, I haven't set up the query yet, but I do have the T2-301
recording the RSSI for every packet received.  Right now it's just used
to report a signal strength percentage in the waypoint comment text.
Next step will be to add it to the ?INFO query so you can determine your
received signal strength remotely.

That reminds me, I need to get the power level control working so it can
automatically choose between 1 watt and 5 watts based on whether it's
hitting a digi or not...

It also just occurred to me that with the way I've got it set up now,
you could add another query to request a signal strength report by
callsign, without QSY'ing.  Could be useful for tracking down screwed up
trackers.

Scott
N1VG