[aprssig] Using digi_ned as a WIDE1-1 fill-in digi

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Feb 9 14:21:51 EST 2009

>>> !3616.98N108222.54W#W1-1 K1LNX WIDE1-1 Digi
>>
>> Please include a PHG string so that
>> others can see the Power, Height and
>> antenna gain and the approximate
>> coverage area.
>
> Weren't we going to move more towards
> using RNG since it displays more
> universally and is human readable on
> all the APRS applications?

Yes and no.  It is not universally recognized on many
applications and gives mixed results, so we prefer to keep PHG
for all digipeaters.  But when we came up with the new FREQ
OBJECTS, we did add a RANGE indicator using the format "Rxxm" or
"Rxxk" for range in Miles or Kilometers.  This, as you say, is
more universally readable on all APRS clients and applications,
HT's and radios.

But all fixed stations (Not objects) should stick with the PHG
format.
Bob, Wb4APR