[aprssig] Google APRS

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 08:02:04 EST 2009

GSM has had it from the very begining.  Not sure when the first GSM was
rolled out in Europe, I think it was long before it was made public in
the US.

I still have an old First Generation GSM carphone from the early 90's,
still works OK though not currently in use, it supports 9600bd data, and
though clunky by modern standards, the Texting facilities are still way
ahead of the D7 etc.  The only down side, was like many early GSM
phones, you had to enter the recipients number by hand every time, you
couldnt pull one from the list the phone had stored already.

Also, most GSM cellular systems can aproximate by triangulation (with
signal strength, and timing) a handsets physical location if needed,
with no need for a GPS receiver.  The results can be scarily accurate,
where there are several cell sites that can "hear" the 'phone OK.
Something CSI had right!

As for APRS only using RF.  Don't mobile 'phones "only" use RF?

I also played with mobile packet (I forget exactly when) with an IC-22A,
and a kit built TNC-220, just as a digi for others to try and "Ping" me.
I was told by the importer of the kits, that mine was the 2nd built in
the UK, I somehow doubt that, but....

That particular TNC is still in regular use BTW, and working well...

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.