[aprssig] Google APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 17:47:45 EST 2009

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> The definition of "mobile" changes with the tides of technology.
> Consider the Osborne 1 "portable" computer
> (http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html).  Granted it pre-dates Windoze
> (and even GUIs for that matter), but if RS-232 TNCs were around back
> then, I'm sure that SOMEBODY would have hooked one up with a terminal
> program and gone "mobile' with the whole setup.

I actually did this!

In the early '80s I actually ran a Kaypro II (CP/M portaluggie with a 9"
green screen CRT) powered from a Heath MP-10 12VDC-to-110VAC inverter
with an AEA PK-232 attached to my Kenwood TS-440 in a mobile
installation in a 1977 VW Rabbit.    I ran RTTY and AMTOR on 40 M and 80
M, while driving up and down I-5 in California.

This followed my attempts at live mobile SSTV with a Sony vidicon camera
and a Robot 400 scan converter in 1978-79.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps