[aprssig] SSID Question and Path Question

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 31 22:01:53 EST 2009

On 12/31/2009 5:07 PM, Dave Sloan wrote:
> Hello all,
>     Hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas and that Santa brought you
> everything you wanted. Please have a Happy and SAFE New Year!
>     I have not been active in APRS for a while. I was just checking on the
> internet and I see that the activity level of APRS has gone way up in the
> Colorado Springs area (for years I was the only mobile for a 20 to 25 mile
> area). Looking at the call signs I see that most of the stations are not
> using a SSDI for there home stations. The two questions I have are:
> Can someone either give me a URL with the current SSID uses?
> Can someone tell me what is wrong in the following paths? Or give me a URL
> that gives the current paths that are to be used?
>
> I see the following SSID's and paths:
>
> -7 with an icon that looks like a torch over a wire  path:>SYPSXV via
> WIDE1-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,WB0BLV
>
> No ssid and a WX symbol path: APRS via TCPXX*,qAX,CWOP-2
>
> -P with a house icon path: APU25N via TCPIP*,qAC,T2APRSWST
>
> -9 with a truck icon path: DJATSY via
> WB0BLV,WIDE1,WB0JRG-7,WIDE2*,qAR,WB0BLV
>
> -7 with an icon of a runner path: S9PTVS via N0PWZ,WIDE1,ALMGRE*,qAR,WB0BLV
>
> No ssid and a WX icon path: APU25N via TCPIP*,qAC,T2TUS
>
> Note the following two ssid's are the same call sign
> -3 fire truck icon path: APU25N via TCPIP*,qAC,T2APRSWST
>
> -2 fire truck path: APU25N via TCPIP*,qAC,T2TUS
>
> -B with a black disamond and a D inside of the diamond path: APJI23 via
> TCPIP*,qAC,W0TLM-BS
>
> -1 with a blue octagon with a ? in it parth: APU25N via TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST
>
> No ssid black octagon with a 1 in it path:
> APU25N,WIDE2-1,qAR,WB0BLV:=/;.p{4%qw1 BAPRS Server {UIV32N}
>
> -10 Green circle with WX in it (this is from TN) path:
> APW251,KF4TNP-3*,WIDE3-1,qAR,K2HAL-1:=3555.15N\08504.48W_PHG5268/>>>
> Cumberland Plateau Crossville TN WX<<<  -TNCUM-251-<630>
> *** shows distance from Cheyenne Mt., Colorado as 9.4 miles. Shows distance
> from Cookeville/Putnam Co EMA (TN) as 27.3 miles. There is NO way both of
> these are correct. How can this happen?
>
> Other paths that I see are:
>
> S8UUPR,ALMGRE,WB0BLV,WB0JRG-7,WIDE2*,qAR,WB0BLV:`pKDl#Pk/"IU}
>
> APN391,qAR,KA0SWT:!3846.33N110459.55W#PHG3830 WA6IFI W2,COn /A=012349
>
> APN383,qAR,WB0BLV:!3746.27N/10427.34W#PHG4665/W3,SSn SOLAR DIGI E OF
> WALSENBURG
>
> I see that a lot of home stations are not using any SSID. I see where some
> are using -3, others are using -7, others are using -9 etc for their
> mobiles. Is there no longer an standardization for the use of SSID's?
>

> TNX&  73,
> Dave N0EOP
> 31033

What do you mean by "a torch over a wire path",   "house icon path", etc ???

Path settings and APRS symbol (a.k.a. "icon") settings are completely
separate issues.

The SSID method of controlling what symbol displays is now obsolete.  It
dates back to the earliest days of APRS when mobile trackers were
implemented by connecting the serial NMEA data output of a GPS directly
into the serial port of a generic packet TNC, with no computer or other
device inbetween.   This resulted in the raw NMEA data being transmitted
as-is without modification or reformatting.  The only way to convey
symbol information was by altering the SSID of the sending callsign.

Today, using APRS-specific hardware or software, symbols are determined
by a pair of ASCII characters embedded in the lat/long position string.
The SSID is irrelevent.   See this page on my site for details:

<http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm>

The standard PATH setting for mobiles in North America is now just
"WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1"    See this page on my site for the history and
details of path selection:

<http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: