[aprssig] Andorid APRS

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 18:14:51 EST 2009

This thread is discussing building an APRS application for Android
(mobile phone) devices. I am particularly interested in interfacing
between my radios (D7 and the like) and the android device for things
like plotting positions from the radio on a map on the phone,
recording them to a local database on the phone, as well as using the
phones GPS to TX my position over the radio ... all in the absence of
an internet connection (wifi, 3g or gprs) and also acting as an IGATE
when an internet connection is present.  Essentially using the mobile
phone as a 'smart' gps that can do many more things than a normal
garmin gps or similar.

It appears that the easiest way to interface between a Radio and an
Android device is via Bluetooth since lower level access to the USB
stack is complicated or impossible without 'hacking' your phone.

The end result would be an application for android devices that could
work with several radios using a bluetooth to serial adapter like
this. http://www.rovingnetworks.com/firefly.php