[aprssig] Please,standardize UTF-8 for APRS

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Dec 16 23:41:15 EST 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> Currently APRS-1.0.1 protocol says:
>> US-ASCII, 7-BIT CHARACTERS.
>> For us that is completely inadequate.

> So I have added to the APRS1.2 addendum that future systems may
> use UTF-8 in text message fields and STATUS fields or at least
> make sure that receipt of same does not break the packet for
> display in some form.  www.aprs.org/aprs12.html

Thank you! It didn't seem to break anything, unlike using UCS-16 which
contains null bytes, which some broken software cut strings at.

By coincidence, on Monday I added UTF-8 support on aprs.fi. The UTF-8
responder is running again, too (now under supervisor so that it will get
automatically started on boot).

Details at: http://oh7lzb.blogspot.com/

http://aprs.fi/?c=message&call=UTF-8 (from 2009-12-14 17:07:18 UTC)

   - Hessu