[aprssig] 30M APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 22:30:23 EST 2009

Matthew Stennett wrote:
> I am not hearing anything of an APRS nature on HF.
>
> I HAVE received a Node signal on 10.145MHz.
>
> Is anyone still ON HF APRS?
>
> Matt

There are very few signals receivable at the moment because of the
incredibly low (i.e. non-existent) sunspot count, but there is SOME
activity.

I monitor 10.149.2/10.149.4 (actual mark and space freqs for 30M APRS)
   24/7  from my QTH in Pasadena, CA and plot what I hear on a map of
the entire continental US.  You can see it on my personal UIview web
server here:

     <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439>

Note that I have an absolutely horrendous local noise level here  (S9+10
broadband white noise level from a leaking cable TV trunk) which
severely limits what I can hear.     Most days I DO hear 3 or 4 stations
regularly during the 2 hours around local sunrise & sunset, when
propagation is best.  As I write this , the last station heard was W7CCY
in south central Washington state at 16:24 local (Pacific) time
today.    The regulars that I constantly hear through my massive noise
level are:

W7CCY    (He seems to have some sort of gold-plated magic antenna system --
                    I hear him consistently even when I don't hear
ANYONE else!)
VE7TXP
VE4GLS
K5RAV
KM5HG

When ever the sunspot count kicks up to a non-zero value, I immediately
see several more routinely.

A month ago, on my annual cross-country trip from CA to East Lansing, MI
and back, I heard a lot of stations from the mobile  (FT-857 into W6HIQ
"Hi-Q" screwdriver ant) all along the 2000 mile route, day or night,
once I got out of high noise level urban areas.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!  HF APRS Notes & Guide