[aprssig] ISS and W3ADO

Randy Love rlove31 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:45:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Andrew Rich
(Home)<vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
> So tell me Bob,
>
> How do you get up into space, and then back to earth so quickly ?
>
> 27/08/09 18:38:49 RS0ISS-4>CQ,SGATE,qAS,W3ADO-13:>ARISS - International
> Space Station (BBS/APRS on)

He didn't.

What that packet shows is that he gated the packet into the APRS-IS system.

The qAS before his call is the clue to what is happening. He merely
received the signal from the ISS and igated it into the APRS internet
system. The true source of this packet is RS0ISS-4, which is the
Russian station on the ISS.

I suggest that you take a little time and read a bit of the APRS spec
so that you can understand the packet layout and true routing
information found in them. Looking at the raw packets without an
understanding of the spec will lead you to many misinterpretations.
Been there, done that, and I felt rather sheepish afterward.

73,
Randy
WF5X