[aprssig] 6 meter APRS

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Wed Aug 26 16:16:02 EDT 2009

Thanks for your comments, Steve.

My other main amateur radio interest beside APRS is the use of
digi-modes on 30m and I agree with
your comments on symbol rates especially after using modes like OLIVIA
where you can have 100%
copy on a signal you cannot hear.

The DLL I'm using in the add-on program will also allow operation on
QPSK. I intend to include all
the PSK and QPSK options in the program to allow experimentation.

As I understand it in the forms of QPSK used by radio amateurs on HF the
increase in data rate has
been used for forward error correction. The data throughput remains the
same but with a reduction
in errors.

My motivation to design a PSK/QPSK TNC add-on program comes after trying
for months to get a
300 bd packet TNC design to work. It will decode a clean signal
perfectly but feed it with an off-air
HF APRS signal with noise and signal corruption very few packets were
decoded. An alternative
using PSK or QPSK would be far better for HF operation especially at
this stage of the sunspot cycle.

73s,

Chris, G4HYG

Chris Moulding
Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax: +44(0)1204 410626
Mobile:  +44(0)7752 391908
Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net
Company number 6780346 registered in England and Wales