[aprssig] APRS/Winlink puzzles

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 25 02:29:17 EDT 2009

Hi Kai, and others,

Thanks for the instructions on the cancel function.  I'll remember that!

My iGate is set up for bi-directional operation, so I am convinced that the first message was sent to RF here at home - an original and three retries.  And, assuming that Xastir is intelligent enough to remember a lack of acks means "he's not home", that explains the lack of forwarding of the other messages.  And further, if bi-directional iGates are rare, then are my results totally explained?  Each of the D7's widely separated retries were, in fact, new messages to the local iGate, but apparently everybody was receive-only.

Seems so...  Bummer, I was hoping that WinLink/APRS would be a good way to do bi-directional email with the family when otherwise un-reachable.  I still have the Email and Email-2 gateways, so at least I can tell them what's going on, but it would have been nice to have a reasonably reliable reverse channel too.

Greg  KO6TH