[aprssig] Nuvi-350 Station Symbols

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Aug 24 08:17:45 EDT 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Has anyone decoded the quirks in how the Nuvi-350 with the Argent data
> cable displays stations?... For any given other station, the symbol is
> there sometimes, and not there sometimes. I zoom in and it appears, or
> disappears, I zoom out and it appears or dissappeares... Sometimes the
> call is there, sometimes not... sometimes the symbol is there, and
> sometimes not...

I don't think I'm seeing what you are seeing. It didn't seem to make any
difference if I set the map detail to least or most. I created a
waypoint offshore a bit so there would be less clutter. When I zoom out
a long way (200 km on the on-screen scale... I can see all of BC), all
waypoints disappear. When I zoom in (200 km on scale) the offshore
symbol appears. Zoom in some more (120 km on scale) names of nearby
symbols appear but they are useless at that scale because of the
clutter, and I don't have a huge number of nearby waypoints. Zoom in
some more (80 km on scale) and the name of the off-shore waypoint
appears. By the time I zoom in to 30 km on the scale, waypoints are
almost useful, but they really become useable at 3 to 5 km on the scale,
and even more so when zoomed in further.

The closest I could come to what you are describing was when I zoomed in
and out where the waypoint density on the map was a bit higher. It
didn't seem illogical to me when some waypoint names were hidden. When I
zoomed in to a level useable for navigation, the names were visible.

How many waypoints do you have? Keep in mind that old waypoints don't
expire. They will be there forever if you don't delete them. Unless
there was a reason not to, try deleting all to see if it behaves
differently with less waypoints.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH