[aprssig] APRS/Winlink puzzles

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 24 02:47:49 EDT 2009

Hi Lynn, et al,

Ok, so this is making more sense now, and also maybe a little less...

I looked again at the various bits of the puzzle, and I'm thinking now about the time problem.  It appears that my TH-D7 tried several widely separate times to send the message, as there are position reports that roughly correspond to the messages, at the times reported on aprs-is.  The rig was probably turned off in between, hence the large time gaps.

I'm thinking now that that my home station reacted to the first "ping" message sent out at 15:28z (8:28 local) by trying 4 times to send it to me here in California.  It wasn't seeing 4 separate messages on aprs-is after all, but rather doing several retries on just the first one because it never heard an ack.  (There is supposed to be an ack, isn't there?)  Note the messages are spaced 1 minute, 2 minutes, and then 4 minutes apart.  Sounds like Bob's retry algorithm, no?

So, then the next part of the puzzle....  Why weren't the other messages at 18:52z and 23:39z seen by my home station and copied to RF?  Did Xastir "learn" from the lack of Acks on the first message that I wasn't home?  (I'm running version 1.8.4, if that matters.  Yes, it's ancient, but the system just keeps running, so I leave it alone.)

And, a TH-D7 question...  Is there any way to "cancel" the re-try of a message from the D7?  It seems to have an annoying memory for incomplete things sometimes.

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH