[aprssig] D710 questions

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Aug 22 19:41:58 EDT 2009

Andrew Rich (Home) wrote:
> The com port speed seems to be the "head" connector speed ?
>
> The PC port speed is the speed of the connector on the body ?
>
> Odd. I would have thought it passed straight thru
>
> I need a diag

The main chassis of the TM-D710 is absolutely identical to the non-APRS
TMV-71.   **ALL**  APRS functionality (firmware, TNC, TNC and GPS ports,
etc) has been moved into the control head.

Kenwood sells the head alone as the RC-710.   You can upgrade a TMV-71
to a D-710 merely by replacing the TMV's oem head with the RC-710.
Further the RC-710 can be usedas an all-in-one self-contained APRS
terminal (i.e. sort of a Ham Hud package), by making TX/RX audio, PTT,
and squelch connections with any 2M rig .   In this standalone mode
(once you provide the 8 VDC power the head requires), the controls for
radio functions such as volume, squelch, PL tone, etc don't do anything
-- only the APRS/TNC-related menu items function.

As a result, the serial port on the head is exclusively for APRS-related
TNC functions.

The physically-identical serial port on the main chassis is  exclusively
for radio "CAT" (computer aided tuning); i.e. programming frequency
memories, remote-controlling band, frequency, repeater offsets & tones,
etc.

The two 8-pin mini-DIN serial jacks (on the head, and on the main
chassis) have the same pinout as the serial ports on classic Apple
Macintosh computers (during the era before USB when Macs HAD serial
ports!).  A Mac serial cable with a mini-DIN on one end and a DB9 on the
other  (intended to connect non-Apple serial devices to a Mac) will work
with both these connectors.   Around here, at least (southern
California), you can buy   8-pin-MIni-DIN-to-8-pin-Mini-DIN  "Mac serial
cables" at large computer or electronics stores for USD $7-$10.  Buy a
10-footer and cut it in half to get two 5-foot cables with a molded-on
Mini-DIN plug on one end, and flying leads for your own DB connectors on
the other.

The 6-pin MIni-DIN "packet/data" jack on the main chassis is identical
to such jacks on many other Japanese ham radios of the last two decades
or so.   It provides raw discriminator audio, de-emphasized and
squelched audio, TX audio in, PTT and COR/Squelch Indicator out.
Despite the misleading labeling of this as a "data" jack, THERE IS NO
DATA (in the sense of RS-232 or TTL level streams) HERE -- only tx and
rx AUDIO.   Full details  on this connector are in this document on my
website:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo>

Scroll down the list of downloadable stuff and look for:

     *MiniDIN6-Packet.pdf

*
--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com