[aprssig] NextGen

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Aug 21 04:28:30 EDT 2009

Jon,

The packet experience showed us how reluctant users were to modifying
(suitable) radios for higher data rates. The experience in other
countries might be different but here in Oz there was a severe lack of
economical, suitable radios for 9k6 and as a result it failed to take
off. Even HAPN 4k8, which would work (sort of) with a 2m voice radio,
never took off. My attempt to get a 2k4 network going with MFJ1270BT
TNC's also failed, even though every club member had the TNC and only
had to select the data rate. I set up a port on the node/bbs and
eventually removed it through lack of use.

I suspect that many "casual" users of aprs will react similarly,
certainly the case in Oz, to moves away from 1k2 AFSK, as unfortunate as
that may be in the eyes of the serious (ARES, WICEN, etc) users.

As for allocating timeslots in AIS, would European contributors like to
comment on the success of DAMA in the packet service? It never took off
in Oz.

Ray vk2tv