[aprssig] NextGen

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:09:34 EDT 2009

I'm not an RF guy, just a digital guy, but it seems to me that our
best hope for future advancements is SDR (software defined radio).
Face it, hams are just not that big a market, and the number of hams
who want to do data is even smaller. Combine that with the fact that
most of use are cheap and/or broke, and it seems like there isn't much
of a market for commercial products for higher data rates.

A generic SDR, combined with some sufficiently motivated DSP folks
and/or advancements in the tools for generating the designs, can give
us room to experiment and grow.

I've had a hard time not jumping on the SDR project that TAPR
announces occasionally; I just don't have the expertise or the time to
be productive there, but I really think it is important to the future
of ham radio.

-Jason
kg4wsv