[aprssig] Object Names With Spaces Proliferating

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 18:16:40 EDT 2009

Mark Earle wrote:
> Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>> If these were beaconed on RF, the same thing applies - the first
>> three in the sequence above will blink for just an instant on a
>> D700/D710 screen before disappearing.   The user will probably never
>> even notice them.
>> 2)  The repeater offset on the UHF repeater is IMPOSSIBLE!   If the
>> D710 autotune actually processed this, you would be transmitting .66
>> MHz outside the UHF ham band.
>>
> Why does a D7/D700/D710/VX8 user care about these at all, as far as
> how they do or do not show on those displays? Those radios can't make
> use of the digital repeater anyhow.
>
> It might be more of a concern if they show (at all) on an Icom digital
> radio display.
>
> I guess if a DSTAR user also had in the same vehicle an APRS display.. ??

If this stuff is being beaconed on "conventional" APRS, then presumably
the person doing the beaconing would assume that other users should be
able to see and use the information.    Perhaps the D-Star power user
has both a D700 for APRS,  and a D-Star radio in his vehicle.

[Actually, this issue of analog vs digital repeaters may be why this is
only being beaconed (as far as I can determine) to the APRS Internet
System and not to RF.]

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net