[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Aug 19 11:23:32 EDT 2009

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> APRS needs a priority bit so that the network can make decisions
> about traffic during times of stress.
>
> We have been looking for a way to include a PRIORITY bit in all
> APRS packets for many years, and there are 3 available bits in
> the standard packet, but they cannot be used until UI-View is
> obsolete.

This is anticipated to be about the year 2104 - hi! Many discussions
about adding features seem to be hinged on the use of UI-View. It really
comes down to "build a better program and they will come".

> This last week we did find that one of these bits IS backwards
> compatible with UI-View and so we would like to move forward on
> this issue. Please read: http://aprs.org/aprs12/priority-bit.txt

While an overlay character for the station symbol entered in UI-View is
in upper-case, you can exit the program and edit uiview32.ini and edit
the [STATION] section to change the TABLE_CHAR to lower case and
it will stay put. UI-View also doesn't have trouble displaying stations
with a lower case overlay.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH