[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Aug 19 10:31:11 EDT 2009

Interesting concept.  I foresee two issues (may be overcome, but nonetheless issues).  First is that the compressed posit format (usable in posits, objects, and items) uses overlays a through j to represent actual overlays of 0 through 9.  Therefore, a through j must be ignored as "priority bit" overlays when if used in compressed format posits/objects/items.

Second is the concept that digipeaters will now have to decode the data portion of the AX.25 packet if they are to implement these RF pacing algorithms.  While software-based digipeaters like digi_ned may be able to handle this as-is or with minor modifications, I perceive already memory strapped firmware-based digipeater code may be problematic.

This is not an attempt at discouraging the concept; only pointing out a couple of issues that I foresee could be problematic to implementing it.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net