[aprssig] APRS Simulated Emergency Test

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Aug 16 22:23:43 EDT 2009

THis months QST mentions the October Simulated Emergency Test.  Lets get APRS involved!

IF anyone wants to draft up an APRS SET document please do.. I am not an ARES/RACES/RED CROSS/FEMA trained person and would hope someone with better persepective could do a better job.  My thoughts are that it might include these elements:

EOC:
a) Sends an exercise Bulletin once every 10 minutes or so.
B) Maintains a FREQ object with the local NET check-in freq.
C) Solicits checkins via A and B
D) Demonstrates APRS display at ALL EOC consoles (probably via APRS-IS)....

MOBILES:
1) Observe above on their Mobile screens.
2) Be sure their GPS's are enabled.
3) Update their posit text with their FREQ
4) Send a CKIN message to the EOC

CHALLENGE:  Attempts to communicate to all moving and active APRS mobiles via above processes.  Figure of merit is how many APRS mobiles checkin and how many trackers the EOC is able to make contact with.

Is there anything else that would be a good part of this exercise?

Here in my county EOC, the first thing I will have to do is install an APRS RF system.  I think all they do now (if any) is go to the APRS-IS...

Bob, WB4APR