[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Pierre Thibaudeau ve2prt at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 14 09:48:39 EDT 2009

Today, 08:59 -0400, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>    Pierre,
>
>    It appears you have found a conflict in the spec.  I do remember
>    (I think) that the intention was (from the WX guys) that we do
>    speed in MPH.  So if there is a conflict, I think MPH wins.  It
>    used to be that I woiuld rely on Dale Heatherington to weigh in
>    on these topics, but I'm not sure he is around anymore.
>
>    Since this comes up every few years, I would think that this is
>    addressed in the APRS11 addendum aprs.org/aprs11.html.  If you
>    cannot find it there, then we can add it.

Thank you for your reply Bob,

Did not see anything relating to this in aprs11.html nor in aprs12.html.
Here is the closest it get in aprs11/spex-wx.txt:

  s = sustained one-minute wind speed in mph. <in positionless format only>

but nothing about the speed unit in DIR/SPD.

Will you make sure that it gets in the right place or do I have something
to do myself about it?

'73 - Pierre
__

Pierre Thibaudeau
VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin