[aprssig] Object wierdness

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Aug 14 08:05:34 EDT 2009

Dale,

I think you can rest easy, there's nothing nefarious going on here, at
least as far as I can tell.  Nothing is actively beaconing KD5LVH in any
form.

The original culprit (at least, THIS month) was a packet on 8/1/2009
that was probably KD5LVH-1's normal beacon with a single bit dropped out
of the AX-25 header.  That created a station, not an object (no, let's
not jump on the differentiation again) called KD5LVH.

2009H01O.LOG:2009-08-01 14:07:21
KD5LVH>APOTC1,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,N5AG-5:!3149.99N\09846.05Wk/A=001677
14.4V  Go, Teach, Make Disciples Matt. 28: 18-20

You can pull a file from
http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/KD5LVH.txt showing all traffic
I've observed on APRS-IS for this month mentioning the text "KD5LVH"
anywhere.  You will see LOTS of the same beacon coming from KD5LVH-1,
but the bogus one (without the -1) was the first.

Nothing out of the ordinary appears until 8/8 at 16:09:52 (all times
Eastern US) when the beacons start to include HICKTN and JACKTN in their
path.  I suspect that's due to driving in a different area and being
picked up by different digis.  Nothing strange here.

That all continues until 8/13/2009 18:28:51 when KG4LT via K5BAR-5
posted an object called KD5LVH.  That was beaconed twice and then the
Kills started coming out.  However, at 18:35:32, the object itself was
again beaconed (via N5AG-5), and then a bunch more Kills.  KD5LVH-1
threw 2 more valid-looking beacons in the middle of that mess as well.

So, it does NOT appear that anything is currently (since 8/13/200
23:55:23, the last kill) beaconing an object or station or anything for
KD5LVH.  I can't speak for why aprs-fi hasn't honored the kill, but
you'll only see it now if you specifically search for it or open your
lookback window fairly long.

As I said at the outset, it appears that this was all an innocent event
based on one single beacon that had a 0 SSID, possibly/probably due to
some digi or IGate in the area (the packet would seem to indicate
N5AG-5) running in PASSALL mode.  Either that, or the KD5LVH-1 station
itself dropped the bit before the calculation of the FCS and actually
sent that original packet out over the air.

Or it could have even been that the TNC/Radio was powered up with KD5LVH
as the callsign and was taken down for reconfiguring to KD5LVH-1.  There
IS a 37 minute gap between the KD5LVH and the first KD5LVH-1 beacon.

Enjoy the logs, and with time, all things will finally disappear!
(provided that whatever happened doesn't happen again!)

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ