[aprssig] Spaces in NAMES Manifesto

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Aug 13 18:57:46 EDT 2009

30 Minutes to board a 9 hour flight, no time to continue following the debate. (DELTA has free-wifi at the gate in SLC!)  I'll attempt to summarize and tell why...

1) NAMES: Station, ITEM and OBJECT names were all meant to be in the same NAME space.  OBJECT Names are transmitted in a 9 byte field with right padded spaces.  Those spaces are not part of the NAME.  ITEMS dropped the spaces by definition for brevity. STATION names are from the AX.25 header and have callsign-type restrictions (WHEN ENTERED into the sending TNC) debate continues about what is allowed in 3rd party packets.  Object names can contain any printable ASCII character (I will concede, this includes embedded spaces)(not trailing spaces).

2) PACKET TYPES:  STATION, OBJECT and ITEMS were all supposed to be just different ways of enteirng a "thing" into the distributed APRS virtual display.  THeir SOURCE was always to be retained as long as the information was valid.  ANd their TYPE was supposed to be retained on the display for immediate recognition.

3) DISPLAY:  The APRS display was supposed to be the concept of a "virtual distributed information display" of which everyone was looking at the same information.  They could zoom around and select any subset of the information, but everyone is supposed to be seeing the same "virtual information".  Be careful not to describe one's own display as TRUTH.  It is just your view of the situation's "virtual info".

4) UPDATES:  SInce all "things" are in the same "virtual display space" and the purpose of APRS in support of anything is to allow for distributed participation and input to that "virtual display", then, ANY participant in the event or local situation that has more uptoddate info on a thing is supposed to update it and that UPDATE is supposed to propagate to ALL participants looking at the same "virtual display".

5) OWNERSHIP:  Therefore it was fundamental that the "ownership" of each "thing" on the APRS display was part of that display and was NOT hidden from view so that there is NEVER any question of who owns it. STATION CALL, or OTHER's object or MY OBJECT.  THis is very important because at any time, someone else may take over an object and the original owner has to be aware of this.  He can take it back, or clients can even lock it in and not allow a takeover.

I appreciate Steve's and other authors and sysops frustration at the  huge numbers of ways that users can perturbate callsigns and names and that these sysops are then left with having to answer people as to why WB4APR and wb4apr are two different things, but unfortunately, this was intentional.  In some cases, people may want to put up multiple objects (or opinions) of the same object.  In that case, we gave them that ability by allowing them to mix case, use hyphens, dots, and other ways to create a name with a similar meaning but that would NOT update or replace an existing object (which had to match exactly).  THis allows for multiple inputs from multiple stations of their information and then on the air for the participants to glean from the multiple similar objets and decide which one is best.  Then KILL the ones of no interest on the map.

If the above clarifications of the spec still leave the existing wording of the spec as ambiguous, I will go back and propose better clarification wording.  I do agree with Steve that the leading character of any NAME must be ALPHA-NUMERIC no matter what type of packet is used to transmit it.

I would welcome a UIview add-on that could underlay color circles under each icon to show this ownership and age and other attributes.

Last guy to board!
Bob, WB4APR
Hope that helps.

Bob, WB4APR